Disney Inspire Day 2013
As some of you know, I was lucky enough to get to visit WDAS for their Inspire Day event! I wrote more about my personal experience here, but for this I’m just going to share some of my notes. :)
WDAS Production Process
Early vis dev / story work is first
Scene Cards are pinned up
Musicians brought in
Storyboards are done to music
Vis Dev - characters are tied down
Poses & expressions of characters are explored
2-3 passes are completed of storyboards
Boards are turned over to the editor for the animatic
The editor and board artists work back and forth
The film is screened every three months in front of WDAS staff
Everyone is required to give notes on the film
Directors take these notes and find common patterns of
what’s working/not and implement changes
Modelers work back and forth with the character designers
Early models are sent to be rigged and tested by Character TDs
The Look Departement begins working on materials and shaders
Environment modeling begins
The Layout Department works on staging and blocking
Effects animation begins
Character animation and techAnim (working with cloth, etc.)
Everything goes to Look Development for texturing
The final process is stereo (making the film 3D for theatres)
During the entire presentation, each artist emphasized the importance of
collaboration & iteration.
Portfolios / Reels
If you doubt it, leave it out
Customize for the job
Polish - you’re representing yourself to the studio
Presentation is important
Show your work to others for opinions
You are not the best judge of your work
Don’t sacrifice quality for quantity
Show your title card at the front and end
Students should have a 1-2 minute reel
Include a reel breakdown list on the reel (at the end)
No sound on reels, except dialogue/music in the animation
Always have a current resume
It’s your first impression
Should be readable/have good design
Your name should pop out
Include contact information
List most recent work first
Most recent education first
Include volunteer work
Include key skills (don’t exaggerate)
2 pages is okay
Tips straight from the mouths of Disney employees! Enjoy!
If you get a note like this from this guy, ignore it. Delete it. If you ask what his daughter likes, he’ll try sending you a very suspicious folder with random art in it, as well as a virus.
Please spread this around because someone who doesn’t know any better can really wind up getting screwed over. Thank you!
Hi everyone!!! This is an art supplies giveaway for me reaching an amount of followers I said I’d do a giveaway at!
Here are the things you’ll be getting, as you can see from the photo!
- 6” by 10” Sketchbook for both wet and dry media
- A bottle of ink, you pick the color, I’ll order it from a specific site
- A fountain pen that comes with the ink from the same site
- 11 colors of Cotman Winsor & Newton watercolors
- 3 brushes
- A drawing of a subject of your choice to go on the first page! You might want to check my art out if you’re unfamiliar with me to see what types of things I usually do
And that’s that. I don’t use any of those watercolor tubes anymore, as I’ve replaced them each with higher quality tubes, so I thought: why not give them away? And I like the fountain pen I’ve been using so much that I think I’d like someone else to try it, too. I’ve also replaced the three brushes I’ve included here, so I don’t need those, either. And a drawing for good measure.
Here are the rules! Please follow these:
- No giveaway blogs. I want more people to actually see this and have a chance at getting something; a lot of artists don’t have a lot of money…
- Reblogs enter you, and a Like helps. You can’t just like - but you can do both to double your chances of just reblogging (if it falls on someone who liked it, I’ll check to see if they reblogged it)
- I’ll be checking the blog that wins to see if you’re an active blog.
- You gotta use these after they arrive! I obviously can’t enforce this, but I want to see people not being timid! Make art! That’s what these are for. I know a thing that stops a lot of people is being scared they’ll mess up and waste expensive supplies… but if this is a gift, that shouldn’t matter!
- This ends on May 24th. If I send an ask and you don’t respond within 2 days, I’ll ask the next person, and so on.
- I will ship anywhere. I’ll pay the shipping.
I think that’s everything. Have fun!!! Good luck!
i wish i could win this T:T. Luck for me!
I’d like to call this the Broken Hopes, Broken Dreams giveaway. I realized I had one more to do after the art one earlier…
I have these two Charizard I got in Japan - a Pokedoll that came out a day before we had to leave, and a Pokemon Time Charizard charm. It’s really cute, but I don’t like Charizard a whole lot. I bought these two Charizard items for a special friend, even though at that time I was really upset at that person. Then we parted ways because it never got better, and I’d rather not keep around things that upset me.
So… the rules are simple.
- One reblog enters, but a like helps.
- No giveaway blogs!
- Giveaway ends May 24th.
- I’ll pay for shipping anywhere.
- You don’t have to be following me, but if you like Pokemon art, I do a lot of that!
Thank you for taking a look! I hope these will end up in a place with someone who appreciates Charizard as much as I don’t.
i want :(
Well, i like this new design sooo Muuuch. And i decided to make it awww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa xD LONE DRUID FTW
Next giveaway! Reblog once to enter- please do not do it more than once or you won’t be considered! Previous winner of the pony set was http://hexakozioihexekontahexa.tumblr.com/ ! Congrats to them!
Winner of this set giveaway will be decided March 5th
Or you can buy them here! https://store.papayakitty.com/products/kyurem-forms
well, i wanted to do the leaders in “battle mode” lol xD this is the result.
Shroomsworth is doing mach punch and pk is doing sucker punch D:
Page 1 of 2